Tuesday, October 7, 2014

restless

Lately, a common thread has tied many of my conversations together. Many people my age, myself included, feel restless. We chose to settle here in Grand Rapids, but there seems to be a deep longing within many of us that whispers, "Go. Go out into the world. Experience something different. Go make an impact somewhere larger and new." There is something beautiful about diving into a new place and building a new community in a place that seems to have more diversity (both in terms of people and activities). What I often tend to overlook is how meaningful life can be when you choose to stay put; when you decide to grow deep roots in a place.

Last night, I saw Propaganda, a Christian rapper, perform at Calvin College. That man is preaching the Gospel, and he has the courage to speak the Truth both in his lyrics and in his life. He said many words that buried themselves within my heart, but one message shouted loudly at me. Someone once asked him, "Where is your ministry?" He replied, "Wherever my feet are standing."

"Where is your ministry?"
"Wherever my feet are standing."

WOW. What a great reminder that it's okay to stay put. This is where I am, and I might as well do the best I can in this place at this time. It is important to be faithful, day in and day out, even when it seems mundane. It is important to be intentional and build a strong community with those around us (wherever we are).

Yes, Grand Rapids is small. No, I didn't imagine myself settling down in West Michigan when I graduated from college a few years ago. I have been so blessed by staying put, though. There are some amazing people doing amazing things here in Grand Rapids-- amazing things in art; amazing things in education; amazing things with food; amazing things towards racial reconciliation; and more! All of these things are present in this city. It is up to us to seek them out, to get involved, to build relationships with those already involved, and to continually invest ourselves in these movements day in and day out.  Although Grand Rapids is small, this is indeed a good place to be. Grand Rapids has the potential for big and great things to happen. Although it's difficult at times, it is up to us to stay put and remain faithful in order to make things great.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! I needed to hear this, especially lately. The world is such a big place! And without a husband or kids to hold me down and with a pretty marketable skill (I teach English!) I could literally go anywhere I wanted to in the world! But while moving around a lot and going places and seeing things is exciting and stretching and educational and awesome, staying put and going to the same places and pouring into the same people (and being poured into by them) is exciting and stretching and educational and awesome, and I'm finding a lot less lonely. My pastor in Michigan asked the congregation a couple of weeks ago to just listen to what God is asking you to do. It might not be more than a few words. So one day on my walk home from school I listened to what God might be asking me to do. He said, "Wait." He said, "Stay where you are until I tell you to do something else. Keep doing what you're doing, better and better, more like me every day until I tell you to change. Be faithful because I am faithful."

    ReplyDelete